Sewage & Waste Water
We provide sewage damage expertise, assessment, restoration and remediation when you incur sewage contamination to your property.
Overview of Sewage Decontamination Service
Moisture Control Services is a “recovery and decontamination specialist” and have all the tools and skills required to make sure your property is decontaminated and cleaned thoroughly. In the absence of an existing Australian Standard, We have developed our own standard of compliance when attending a sewage contaminated site.
Moisture Control Services provide a professional service and has developed a thorough, methodical approach which is critical in ensuring total decontamination. We have the experience, procedures and resources necessary to deal with the variety of sewerage jobs encountered.
1. Mitigation, recovery and responsible disposal for contaminated property:
– Hazardous waste removal, photos taken and inventory list recorded.
– Affected carpet and underlay is cut-out and removed.
– Entire area pressure washed, decontaminated and deodorised.
– Install air scrubber to filter internal air.
– Affected area dried before re-use. This includes building structure where skirting boards may need to be removed and disposed.
2. Detailed Insurance Industry reporting and invoicing is standard for MCS.
3. Efficient and effective recovery process guaranteeing workmanship and quality end result.
4. Minimise business interruption.
5. Third party testing and assessment of affected area is recommended (e.g. take swabs of affected area for 3rd party analysis of faecal choliforms).
Causes of sewerage decontamination and damage:
How to minimise damage before MCS arrives:
The first thing to do is try and limit the spread of contaminated water by closing the door to the toilet/bathroom with old rags/towels at the base of the door.
Call a licenced plumber, if they detect the cause or blockage is outside the boundary of the property contacts below for your respected council.
Brisbane City (Urban Utilities): Tel. 13 23 64
Logan City Council: Tel.3412 3412
Redland City Council: Tel. 3829 8999
Ipswich City Council: Tel.3810 6666
Morton Bay Regional Council (Unity Water): Tel. 1300 086 489
Gold Coast City Council: Tel. 1300 000 928
Scenic Rim Council: Tel.5540 5111
Sunshine Coast City Council (Unity Water): Tel. 1300 086 489
In the meantime, mitigate further damage by taking the following steps:
- Avoid cross contamination by using separate and dedicated footwear in the affected area. Change footwear on the edge of the contaminated floor-covering.
- If you have a substantial area of your home/building affected where contaminated items need to be disposed, it is ideal to place plastic down over the unaffected areas exiting the house/property as close as possible to the contaminated area.
- Turn-off any electrical items in the wet areas (if safe to do so).
- If you have polished timber furniture, if moved as soon as possible after the incident at times this can be saved or alternatively if the item is too large to move, fold alfoil over several times and progressively work your way around the base of each timber item thereby protecting your furniture from the contaminated water/moisture.
- Take photos and record all visible damage for insurance (if applicable).
- If you have a full bookcase or large cupboard within the contaminated area, it should be emptied to allow MCS to remove this item.
Pathogens that can be found in sewage are Gram-negative bacteria which can include: E. coli, Pseudomonas, Salmonella and Shigella. Sewage can also contain Viruses such as Hepatitis A & B, Rotavirus, Adenovirus and G.I. Viruses. There are more than 120 different viruses excreted in human faeces and urine. Depending on the type of viruses, transmission occurs through hand to mouth (faecal-oral) contact. There are hundreds of parasites that may be present including Guardia and Cryptosporidium that can cause chronic and severe intestinal disease in both adults and children. It takes very small amounts of these parasites to result in illness.
Always assume that floodwater is contaminated with sewage. Immediate clean up is essential to reduce the risk of infection and/or mould growth.